Florajen, previously known as florajen3, generic name Lactobacillus Acidophilus, is a highly recommended probiotic used to balance the bacteria in the gastrointestinal tract/ gut. With a unique blend of three probiotic species, florajen is said to have multiple benefits spread across bodily functions besides the gut.
As an antibiotic treatment, florajen can have some side effects including allergic reactions, muscle and stomach cramps, headaches, yeast infections as the drug can kill good bacteria as well, among many others. The blend between the two primary probiotic species; Lactobacillus Acidophilus and Bifidobacterium, can also cause side effects in particular individuals.
Florajen is a prevalent probiotic choice for many, but there may be a need to look into the drug more keenly. Below is a detailed guide on all matter florajen starting with the side effects, benefits, and a clear look into the types of bacteria species and strains that could affect or benefit you.
All that glitters is not gold, and even with its amazing build of three probiotic species including several other strains, the drug may have some serious side effects.
To start, let’s see the common side effects you may experience;
- Allergic reactions – they appear differently for everyone, but if you see your skin breaking out with hives, rashes, peeling skin, itching, red and swollen blisters, you should stop taking the drug.
- Tightness in the chest
- Swelling on the face – the mouth, lips, tongue, or throat
- Trouble breathing or talking
- Dizziness or weakness
These are some of the common or mere side effects seen. But they could get worse to even bone or muscle pains, weight loss, color changes in urine, vomiting and severe stomach pains, migraines, dry mouth, high blood pressure, and in some cases passing out.
All these side effects are quite common because of these probiotic species and strains;
- Lactobacillus Acidophilus LA 14
- Lactobacillus Acidophilus NCFM
- Bifidobacterium Lactis Bi 07
- Bifidobacterium Lactis HN019
- Bifidobacterium Infantis BL 05
Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria blends are the most prevalent microorganisms with lactic acid-producing bacteria meant to improve your health. In the process, they reside everywhere besides the gut and in the large intestines as well. This is why the negative side effects are widespread.
These lactic acid bacteria from Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria can cause opportunistic infections like skin injury, dental, and bone problems. They could also cause clinical infections as they invade your host body differently. Systemic infections include bacterial endocarditis that affects the heart and the heart valves. It occurs when the bacteria invade the bloodstream causing serious heart damage.
It could also cause other bacterial infections but the severity depends on the host and the specific bacterial strain introduced to the body. Lastly, Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria species have been known to deconjugate bile juice which can cause excess secretion of bile acids. This can give you bitter tastes in your mouth.
Health Benefits of Florajen
Yes, there are quite a lot of health benefits realized by this probiotic supplement, majorly, when it comes to digestion and restoring the good and natural flora and microbial balance in the body. Besides those, here are more benefits;
- Aids to ease any unpleasant side effects of antibiotics.
- Regulates the microbiota in the digestive system and the gastrointestinal tract in general
- Minimizes chances of overgrowth of yeast
- Relieves certain types of diarrhea and other stomach/ intestinal issues
- Curbs vaginal infections and urinary tract infections.
- Reduces anxiety
- Provides positive results against inflammatory bowel disease
- Can aid to prevent mouth and tooth decay by fighting harmful bacteria in the mucosal membrane.
- Minimizes gas production and abdominal pain
- Lactobacillus has been known to aid with weight loss
To dig deeper, here are some of the more specific benefits of each probiotic species and strains.
Lactobacillus Acidophilus LA-14
This specific strain is often found in the mouth cavity, gut, immune system, and vagina. Hence, its benefits are widespread, including;
- Promotes good bacteria in the gut
- Supports the health of the vagina by maintaining a healthy balance of bacteria and preventing overgrowth of yeast causing bacterial vaginosis.
- Supports the immune system.
- Protects the health of the kidney
- Works well with other probiotic strains such as Lactobacillus Rhamnosus HN001 to colonize certain areas in the body.
Bifidobacterium Lactis Bi-07®
Commonly found in the large intestines, it’s been known to work on bowel issues such as irritable bowel moment, frequent or chronic diarrhea, constipation, among other stomach problems.
It mainly helps with good and proper bowel movement and release frequency. It works well with other known bacteria such as Lactobacillus Acidophilus NCFM® and Bifidobacterium Lactis BI-04 to boost the immune system and its overall functioning.